Different kinds of paper materials need different types of paper trimmers. You need a paper trimmer to make sure that you are cutting in a precise manner either a shape or simply dividing a document. A paper trimmer is most useful when you are cutting heaps of copy paper, particle boards, photographs, thin plastic, foam boards and so forth.
Trimmers are similar to paper cutters except they are used for smaller cuts. A cutter cuts more sheets of papers at a time by making a blade pass directly through paper. Trimmers operate the same way except they are for cutting the lesser volume of papers at a time. Trimmers are ideal for homes and offices.
Choosing a paper trimmer can be a baffling task. There are tons of models and types of trimmers available. To pinpoint what type of paper trimmer you exactly need, you need to determine what you need the trimmer for in the first place. The most important thing to always bear in mind is the volume, size and media type.
Paper trimmers are electrical, manually or hydraulically operated. The type of trimmer you buy depends on what type of paper you intend to cut.
1. Photo Trimmers are usually used by a hobbyist. The trimmer allows cutting through edges of photographs for use in scrapbooking projects. Photographs are often cut a piece at a time.
2. Economy Paper trimmers are what offices and schools usually have. Paper is placed on a wood board and a metal cutter is manually pushed down to cut up to10 sheets of paper at a time.
3. Arm Trimmers look like Economy trimmers except that they can be used more frequently and can cut up to 50 sheets of paper at a time.
4. Rotary Paper Trimmers has a round blade enclosed in a cutting head. The round blade glides down a metal bar. Paper is cut when the cutting head glides through the bar allowing the blade to cut the paper. This is the type of trimmer photographers use.
5. Foam trimmers operate the same way as rotary paper trimmers. They are used to cut mounting boards and Styrofoam materials.
After you have determined which type of paper trimmer you need, it is time to consider other factors that will affect your choice of trimmer.
• Choose the paper trimmers size applicable to your needs. If you are a hobbyist, you may want a trimmer you can conveniently carry around. Bigger trimmers have more cutting precision though because of the sharper blades.
• Blades are the most important component of a paper trimmer. Check the safety features included in the trimmer before buying. Some trimmers have finger guards as added safety features.
• Choose the correct type of paper trimmer. As the trimmer gets more complex, the price correspondingly increases.
Paper trimmers can make the process of cutting a lot easier. Instead of using scissors and cut a piece at a time, trimmers can cut more sheets at a time. The most important use of a trimmer though is its capability to cut with precision.